An excellent way to use up leftovers or pantry items. Excerpted from Mix-n-Match Recipes by Deborah Taylor-Hough.
Mix-n-Match Skillet Meals
Choose one (1) food from each of the following groups:
Breads and Cereals (1 cup raw)
- Rice (white or brown)
- Any pasta
Sauce (1 can soup plus 1.5 cans milk, broth or water)
- Cream of Mushroom
- Cream of Celery
- Cream of Chicken
- Cream of Potato
- Tomato Soup
- French Onion Soup
Protein (1 pound or 1 cup cooked)
- Chopped beef
- Chopped pork or ham
- Ground beef or turkey
- Cooked dry beans
Vegetables (1.5 to 2 cups canned, cooked or raw)
- Green beans
- Lima beans
- Mixed vegetables
- Green Pepper
- Whatever you have around
1/2 to 1 cup cheese (any kind) can be stirred into sauce at the end of the cooking time.
- Choose one food from each of the four groups above.
- Stir together in skillet.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, soy sauce, onion flakes, garlic, or whatever spices you enjoy.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Cover pan and simmer 30 minutes until pasta or rice is tender.
- Stir occasionaly to prevent rice and pasta from sticking.
- Stir in cheese, if desired.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
To bake in oven: Mix all ingredients in casserole dish and cover tightly; bake at 350 F for one hour. If you use tuna, noodles, peas, and a cream soup, it’s essentially a good old-fashioned tuna casserole.